Thursday, January 19, 2012

Marky Mark Goes HAM On 9/11 Comment


Yahoo - In a recent interview with Men's Journal, Mark Wahlberg made a remark about the 9/11 attacks that could spark a considerable controversy. Wahlberg was originally scheduled to fly on one of the planes that hit the World Trade Center. Fortunately for him, he took a different flight a week earlier. When he spoke to Men's Journal about what could have been, Wahlberg remarked, "If I was on that plane with my kids, it wouldn't have went down like it did. There would have been a lot of blood in that first-class cabin and then me saying, 'OK, we're going to land somewhere safely, don't worry.'" Wahlberg quickly apologized for the remark. According to gossip site TMZ, he said that his comments were "irresponsible" and that "to speculate about such a situation is ridiculous to begin with. I deeply apologize to the families of the victims that my answer came off as insensitive, it was certainly not my intention."

Tough to defend Marky here, sucks because I like the guy, but even I know sometimes things cross the line and this looks like one of those times. I'm all about 9/11 conspiracies and shit, and I still don't think we know the whole truth about it, but I'm not about to get famous and then say I would've saved thousands of people from certain death because I beat people up in movies and shit.

On the other hand, to his defense, guy was supposed to be on that plane. I don't know what kind of mental toll that must have on a person, but not like the guy has been struggling to live. He's made about $500 million since 2001 so can't really complain about him not living life to the fullest here. Seems to be the attitude he's taken, but still who knows how he deals with this shit. I don't know how I'd get over whatever kind of survivors guilt I'd have knowing I was supposed to be on a plane that hit the WTC. Just some crazy shit to have to deal with, so all in all I've gotta give some kudos to the guy for going over 10 years without saying anything public about it.

PS - If his comment "If I was on that plane with my kids, it wouldn't have went down like it did. There would have been a lot of blood in that first-class cabin and then me saying, 'OK, we're going to land somewhere safely, don't worry." wasn't straight out of Chuck Norris' mouth then I don't know what world we're living in right now. So I guess I defend Wahlberg because he obviously didn't say that, Chuck Norris did, but he did it in Mark Wahlberg's body, because Chuck Norris can do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment